This blog includes text and images drawn from historical sources that may contain material that is offensive or harmful. We strive to accurately represent the past while being sensitive to the needs and concerns of our audience. If you have any feedback to share on this topic, please either comment on a relevant post, or use our Ask Us form to contact us.

This Week in Princeton History for May 29-June 4

In this week’s installment of our recurring series, students attempt to address the problem of “Shenanigagging,” a veteran proposes a memorial, and more.

May 30, 1872—At a mass meeting called by the senior class, students discuss the problem of cheating on exams, then vote to condemn what is known in local slang as “Shenanigagging.”

Cheating cuff
“Cheating cuff” used by Henry Cook Thompson, Princeton Class of 1871, in an exam. The caption reads, “The Syllogisms in Atwater’s Logic. Used in the examination at the end of the second term Junior year.” Thompson pasted a few of his cheating cuffs in his scrapbook. Scrapbook Collection (AC026), Box 13.

June 1, 1950—Hearst’s International offers an anecdotal example of how to improve your life without a college education, in the form of a man who reportedly only graduated 8th grade but became a corporate executive. “Every morning,” the article quotes him,

I would repeat a very simple formula, saying it over to myself ten times. ‘I will so conduct my life today,’ I tell myself, ‘that any act of mine could well be adopted as a general rule of behavior at Princeton University.’

June 3, 1864—Henry Boyd McKeen, Class of 1853, dies in the Battle of Cold Harbor.

June 4, 1922—Samuel Herbert McVitty, Class of 1902, acting as a spokesperson for a group of World War I veterans, proposes that Princeton’s alumni who are eligible for the recently passed Veterans Bonus Bill pool the money and donate it to create a memorial for Princetonians who died in the war.

For the previous installment in this series, click here.

Fact check: We always strive for accuracy, but if you believe you see an error, please contact us.

One response to “This Week in Princeton History for May 29-June 4”